Alan is a classic people person. Community spirited. Generous with his time and talents. Highly regarded in the business and local community. An innovator, leader and visionary. He has dedicated more than 50 years to guiding the insurance industry and growing AWIB.
Alan is an active member of the Regional Executive Forum for Gippsland, an active member of the Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund (GERF) and President of the City of Traralgon Band. Alan was the organiser of the City of Traralgon Band 2015 Tour of Remembrance to England and France. He has served on the committees of the National Insurance Brokers Association, the Gippsland Insurance Institute and Regional Insurance Brokers Association of Victoria. Alan won the Sportscover Broker of the Year in 2004, the inaugural National Insurance Brokers Broker of the Year award in 2012 and the 2014 Fire Protection Association of Australia’s A. V. Viscogliosi award.
Alan’s favourite AWIB product is our Fire Protection Industry Insurance which he designed from the ground up following a detailed study of the fire protection industry. When he’s not supporting our clients or chairing an industry function, Alan loves playing the euphonium with the local brass band, restoring vintage cars or boating on the Gippsland lakes with family and friends.
In 2023 Alan was awarded the prestigious Order of Australia Medal (OAM). The OAM recognises the achievements and services of individuals for service in a particular locality or field of activity or to a particular group. Alan’s tireless work and commitment have made a significant impact on the community across various organisations, and we would like to highlight some of his remarkable achievements.
- Treasurer, Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund, since 2010.
- Member, Regional Executive Forum, Champions of the Bush, since 2010.
- Founder and Director, Andrew Wilson Foundation, since 2011.
- Board Member, Grace Bruce and JL Macmillan Homes Inc., 2003-2013.
- Sponsor, various local sporting teams including the Traralgon Amateur Basketball Association.
- Founder and Managing Director, AWIB, since 1984.•
- Board Member, Regional Insurance Brokers of Victoria, 1999-2002.
- Victorian Committee Member, National Insurance Brokers Association of Australia, 1988-1996.
- Committee Member and Office Bearer, Gippsland Branch, Insurance Institute of Victoria, 1973-1977.
Alan’s dedication and service to the community are truly inspiring. This recognition is well-deserved and a testament to his unwavering commitment to making a positive impact.